OWLS (Organization of WELS Lutheran Seniors) is a national organization of WELS and ELS members who are at least 55 years of age. The purpose of the OWLS is to provide a nation-wide program for the life enrichment of senior WELS and ELS members in service to their Lord and His Church and to provide life enrichment (spiritual, cultural, personal and total growth) for our members.
Bloomington Living Hope OWLS normally meet on the first Tuesday of each month at 9:30 a.m. from September through May in the Fireside Room at Bloomington Lutheran Church. We presently have about 25 members. Our meetings consist of devotion and discussion led by Pastor Spaulding, a business meeting, and a speaker.
Our chapter has also been involved with the following service activities:
- Assisting with decorating and undecorating at Christmas time at the Lutheran Home – Belle Plaine
- Sponsoring Bingo games for elderly or mentally challenged residents at the Lutheran Home – Belle Plaine.
- Assisting our pastors in providing monthly services for the elderly at the Beverly Home.
- Helping at the Home to Home Thrift Store in Belle Plaine, which donates profits they make to the Lutheran Home.
- Placing large print meditations in area nursing homes.
Several social events are held during the year including a catered Christmas lunch at Bloomington Lutheran Church and a Polka and Brat Fest in June. We try to arrange a summer outing each year. OWLS also holds a fund-raising event, selling cards and craft items. The profits from the fund-raising event are sent to the European Civilian Chaplaincy fund, which does not receive any funds from the Synod. The national OWLS organization has pledged $50,000 each year to support this mission.
Members also attend the National OWLS convention each year. T
Non-members are always encouraged to attend OWLS events.